What is confidence?
Confidence means feeling sure of yourself and your abilities.
This means you feel good about yourself.
It’s a quiet inner knowledge that you’re capable.
Why is confidence important?
Confidence helps us feel ready for whatever life brings. Confident people are able to move forward during challenging times, and get the most out of opportunities. Confident kids see the good things about themselves and believe in themselves, even when they don’t do well at first.
People with low confidence are less likely to try new things or explore. This can stop people reaching their full potential.
5 tips to build your confidence
1. Make a list of things you are good at: Singing? Dancing? Science? Can you play the guitar? If you’re having trouble with this last, ask a friend or parent for help.
2. Practice things you do well: Think of the times and ways you can practice/do the things you’re good at.
3. Turn “I can’t” into “I can!”: Telling yourself “I can’t” is thinking badly about yourself. Change that voice into “I can try” or “I can do this.”
4. Try your best: You feel good about yourself when you try to achieve something and you give it a good go. With trying hard comes higher confidence when you succeed.
5. Spend time with family and friends: Doing things with your parents that you enjoy can make you feel like you belong. This can raise self-esteem and confidence.